Staying fit and healthy may seem to be a fantasy for people with tight schedules. However, you can always make time even when you are working a busy job. If you are wondering how to juggle a busy job and meet your health needs, here are a few tips that will help you.
Develop Healthy Eating Habits
One way to make sure you eat healthy while working a busy job is to plan ahead. Make a list of the healthy snacks you can prepare at home and buy groceries and supplies that you will use to make these meals. The best way to avoid eating junk or unhealthy food while you are at work is to carry your own food. One way to ensure this is to make time on Sunday to prepare healthy snacks for the whole week. If you do not have time to make snacks or to pack a meal before going to work, it is advisable to be well acquainted with healthy grocery stores and restaurants around your workplace.
Identify the grocery stores that offer whole foods and vegetable and fruit salads. There may also be restaurants in your area that offer healthy milk shakes, juices, and fiber rich meals. Provided eating out is within your financial means, it is a great alternative if you are not good at cooking or miss out on buying groceries and preparing meals on Sunday.
Invest in Supplements
Although you can do without them, supplements are important for optimal health. Although your skin synthesizes Vitamin D in response to sunlight, you will need it if you work indoors. Take a dosage of 3000 iu per day.
Fish oil is also a good supplement for fighting depression, fat loss, better cardiovascular health, and for boosting brain function. The main benefit of fish oil is that it fights inflammation which you may be susceptible to if you are working long hours. Take a dose of between 1 and 3 grams daily. Branched-chain amino acids offers fuel for your muscles and is used for synthesizing proteins. Their main benefit is preventing muscle breakdown when one is exercising on an empty stomach. Experts recommend one serving before a fasted workout.
Experts advise people to drink atleast 8 glasses of water every day. Drink a glass of water in the morning and carry a bottle of water to work. Having water will help to aid digestion, keep you hydrated, and prevent you from drinking sugary or unhealthy beverages. Water will also keep you focused throughout the day.
Get Enough Sleep
One of the reasons most workers are not as productive as they should be is because they are sleep deprived. You should begin your bed routine one hour before the time you have scheduled for bedtime. Aim at getting at least 8-10 hours of sleep. Being fatigued increases levels of cortisol, a hormone that is triggered whenever you are stressed.
When this hormone increases, people tend to overeat and this can easily lead to obesity. The best way to ensure you get enough sleep is to set a fixed bed time. Getting enough sleep will not only improve your decision-making, but also your workouts, and the quality of your work.
Meditation is as important as sleep. Studies have shown that meditation has various health benefits, most importantly, it helps in stress reduction. It helps to calm you down and help you gather your strength during stressful moments. Meditation can be done by simply sitting back, closing one’s eyes, and focusing on breathing. Meditating for two minutes is enough.
Identify Opportunities For Staying Fit
One of the frustrating things for people who work busy jobs is making time to go to the gym or attend a yoga class. Although experts state that 150 minutes of exercise every week is healthy for you, many people wrongly believe that exercise entails strenuous workouts in the gym or fitness club. Incorporating movement into your day while at the office can suffice as exercise. Here are a few ways of maintaining body fitness while working a busy schedule:
- Take a lunchtime run: Engaging in a quick run at lunchtime is enough to accomplish your fitness goals.
- Attend gym or yoga during lunch break: If your workplace is close to a gym or yoga studio, you can attend classes during lunch break.
- Take the stairs: Apart from incorporating a whole workout in your day, there are other ways of exercising. Instead of taking the elevator, taking the stairs is a good way of keeping your energy up.
- Walking: Walking is a great exercise. It helps with digestion after a meal and is good way of keeping you stirred up. If your work place is a short distance from home, walk instead of taking a bus. If you drive to work, park your car a significant distance from your workplace so you can walk a little. During lunch breaks, walk to restaurants that are located a reasonable distance from your work place.
- Multi-tasking: One way many people missed out on achieving fitness is believing that they should set a definite time for exercises. Make time to stay fit even when doing your work. For example, you can walk on a treadmill while watching TV, take a brisk walk when walking your dog, or take tricep dips on the couch while cooking or on your office desk during breaks.
Summing It Up
If you are concerned about staying healthy and fit while still being productive at work, the following tips can help you achieve this outcome. You need to bear in mind that the key to health and fitness is commitment. If you are committed, you will make time to research on healthy products, how to prepare healthy snacks, and what supplements you need.
Additionally, you will make some time to meditate and ensure you sleep for the recommended 8 hours a night. When yoga it comes to staying fit, you can achieve your fitness goals by ensuring you are active even without having to attend a gym class.